Kimi Räikkönen & Sebastian Vettel

Kimi Räikkönen & Sebastian Vettel

sunnuntai 22. huhtikuuta 2012

Bahrain GP: The most perfect race!

Usually I sit comfortably on my home coach and drink coffee when watching a Formula 1 race. This GP Sunday, however, was different, a truly unique one. I drove my three sons to their grandparents´ house and I took a train to Pasila (which is in Helsinki) where the MTV3 studios are situated. I had my stomach full of butterflies when I sat on the train but I was sure I would have  an awesome day ahead of me... And I didn´t have to face any disappointments!

There were about 50 other Formula 1 fans at the studio. Also there was an authentic Formula 1 car: the Jaguar driven by Mark Webber during the season 2004! I have to admit I felt a bit embarrassed when the Finnish F1 commentator Oskari Saari recognised who I was... ;) But it was awesome to witness a live broadcast and ask a few questions from the very skilled Finnish F1 team! Among some other people they wanted to interview me as well and I have to say I felt soooo awkward sitting on the Jaguar and I couldn´t think up anything decent to say... So now I can definitely identify with Kimi who doesn´t like interviews, hahaha! ;)

After the live broadcasts the audience was allowed to watch the race at the studio. And what a race it was!! Everything looked perfect right from the start: Vettel stayed in the lead and Kimi was able to snatch 4 positions in the start and his pace looked excellent indeed! The Iceman didn´t even need DRS to overtake Massa. Kimi seemed unstoppable, he managed to overtake Button in his McLaren and Red Bull´s Webber and moving past his team-mate Grosjean looked sooo easy! So in no time Kimi was right behind Vettel and the gap between them was constantly decreasing... On lap 36 Kimi made a move and tried to get past Vettel but according to Kimi´s own words he was in the wrong side on the breaking and Vettel was able to maintain his lead. The last stint was a bit stronger for Vettel and he won the race with only a few seconds´ margin on Kimi! When Vettel crossed the finish line I felt I would have wanted to shout out loud but I was too ashamed to do so ;) Perfect isn´t a word strong enough to describe the race today. A magnificent victory for Sebastian, the very first of the 2012!

Kimi´s team-mate Grosjean made a huge impression on me today by bringing his E20 to the chequered flag in P3 so both Lotus drivers made it to the podium at Sakhir! The performance of the McLarens was kind of a disappointment. They seemed to struggle with their tyres and in addition to that Hamilton had two of his pit stops delayed due to a problem with his left rear tyre... Webber had a very decent race and the Australian finished 4th ahead of Rosberg who finished 5th. Though there might be a penalty coming for Nico as he made some aggressive and questionable moves when trying to prevent both Alonso and Hamilton from getting past him!

So four races and four different winners this far! What an intense battle for the championship is going on! Vettel tops the drivers´ standings and Red Bull is leading the constructors´ championship. Kimi´s 2nd place and Grosjean´s 3rd place made Lotus jump into 3rd place in the constructors´standings! Wow, we can only keep guessing what might happen in the next race...!

Me and the Finnish F1 commentator Oskari Saari showing some "Vettel fingers" after the race!
After the race it was time to have a quick word with the Finnish F1 team members and have some photos taken... I want to thank MTV3 from the bottom of my heart for this unique and exceptional experience! I had absolutely the time of my life!
The Finnish Formula 1 expert Mika Salo has a great sense of humour!

1 kommentti:

  1. Mahtava tää sun blogi! :) Vaikken montaa tekstiä olekaan lukenut, niin kyllä tekstistä välttyy aito kiinnostus ja fanitus lajia kohtaan.
    Oli hieno ilta eilen, ilmeisesti kaikilla oli mukavaa ja sehän tietysti on tärkeintä, vaikkakin Kimin hieno suoritus kruunasi koko päivän hienosti!

    VastaaPoista