Kimi Räikkönen & Sebastian Vettel

Kimi Räikkönen & Sebastian Vettel

keskiviikko 6. huhtikuuta 2011

Kimi´s NASCAR move divides opinions

Last week it has been confirmed that the 31-year-old former F1 champion Kimi Räikkönen has signed with Kyle Busch to debut in the Truck Series race in Charlotte USA on May 20. His contract with Busch is reportedly from three to five races but the others haven´t been confirmed yet... Kimi tested Busch´s black Toyota Tundra this week at the Gresham half-mile oval and rumours tell that the Finnish Iceman set some very impressive laptimes... So new challenges await Kimi when he steps up into the NASCAR world! It´s only Kimi´s second season in WRC and he still has a lot of things to learn in rallying but he seems to be eager to try new challenges in addition to rallying...

If I´m asked I think this is absolutely fantastic news! But as I have followed the discussion about the news on Facebook I´ve noticed how Kimi´s move to NASCAR seems to strongly divide people´s opinions. There seems to be a lot of people who think going to NASCAR is just waste of time for Kimi. Obviously many Americans value NASCAR but people in Europe seem to think that NASCAR requires less talent or driving skills than F1 or WRC due to races driven at oval circuits. I have to admit that I know absolutely nothing about NASCAR but, however, it will be hugely interesting to see how Kimi will succeed in his maiden race! Whether driving at an oval circuit requires less talent or not, one thing is for sure: the truck that Kimi will be driving at Charlotte differs both from a F1 car and a WRC car! So a new challenge for Kimi anyway...

Of course I don´t know Kimi but I would say that he definitely isn´t going to NASCAR because of money! Kimi is a multimillionaire who doesn´t need to do absolutely anything because of money! So there has to be another factor which motivates him in this move. And one thing is for sure: Kimi enjoys driving anything that goes fast :D And having fun plays an essential role in his life: he doesn´t attend motorsports events that he doesn´t find fun. Being extremely rich and having such a huge talent in motorsports gives Kimi the privilege to do what he enjoys and loves from the bottom of his heart: racing in various series! No wonder Kimi´s first comment on the NASCAR test was :"It was a lot of fun!"

What I really respect is Kimi´s attitude towards NASCAR. He starts with the Truck Series instead of going directly into the Nationwide or Sprint Cup and that certainly gives a layman like me the impression of a humble attitude. He knows that he has a lot of things to learn and going into a whole new series isn´t a piece of cake irrespective of the amount of talent that NASCAR requires!I find it absolutely thrilling that Kimi wants to continuously challenge himself. You can´t take this for granted no matter how talented a driver you are. And once again I just have to repeat what I have said already before: it´s highly admirable that Kimi does whatever he wants to no matter what other people think of it! His self-confidence makes the man sooo sexy ;)

I am a Kimi fan from the bottom of my heart and I find it utterly thrilling no matter what the Iceman decides to do in his racing career! I didn´t follow WRC before Kimi got along so maybe Kimi´s NASCAR move brings new inpiration for me aswell... I mean who knows if I have to change the title of my blog by the end of the year to be "In love with F1 & WRC... and NASCAR!"

Kimi driving in Neste Oil Rally Finland in Jyväskylä at the end of July 2010.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti